Cookies are small pieces of computer data, especially text files, which are stored on the computers of users accessing a website and are designed to take advantage of web pages. Cookies usually contain the name of the website they come from, the time of storage on the end device and a unique number.
Cookies are used to:
- adapt website content to users’ preferences and to optimize their use of its web pages;
- remember a user’s last actions (for example how he or she signs off after adding a comment) so that the user doesn’t have to repeat the same actions or give the same information;
- create statistics that help website creators understand how users make use of their websites, thus enabling them to improve their structure and content;
- keeping a user’s session on a website open (after logging in), so that he/she doesn’t have to retype the login and password on every subpage.
This website uses two main cookie types: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies are temporary files that are stored on the end user’s computer until they log out, leave the website or disable the software (or web browser). Permanent cookies are stored on the end user’s computer for the time specified in the cookies’ parameters or until the user deletes them.
This website employs the following types of cookie:
- essential cookies that allow you to use the available services, such as authenticating cookies used for services that require authentication throughout the website;
- cookies that ensure security, e.g. those used to detect fraudulent authentication within the website;
- performance cookies that collect information about the manner in which the web pages on our site our being used;
- functional cookies that enable user-selected settings to be “saved” and the user interface to be customized, relating, for example, to the user’s language of choice or region of origin, the font size, the appearance of the website, etc.;
- advertising cookies allow advertising content to be delivered to users that is more suited to their interests.
All web browsers allow cookies to be disabled. The user may do this at any time, but must take into account that the website won’t function properly or will become inconvenient to use.
The cookies placed on the end user’s computer can also used by any advertisers cooperating with the service provider as well as partners and providers of services that track Internet traffic (such as Google AdSense, Facebook and Google Analytics).